Is your roof in need of attention? Has a recent storm caused significant damage? Is the roof reaching the end of its natural lifespan? Whether you’re in immediate need of repairs or beginning to explore your options for replacing an aging roof with a brand-new one, when you need a roofer, you need a trusted professional who can do the job right. Here’s how to find a reputable roofer.
How to Find a Reputable Roofer
Locating a reputable roofer takes a little work, but it’s a wise use of your time and effort. After all, a poorly installed roof can cause countless headaches. Alternately, a quality roof can protect your property effectively for decades. Finding a knowledgeable roofer with the experience and resources to provide you with excellent roofing services is vital.
1. Get Referrals and Recommendations
Do you have friends, neighbors, coworkers, or family members who have required the services of a roofer recently? If so, ask them about their experience. Would they recommend the roofer that they worked with?
2. Do Your Research
Selecting a roofer should never be like playing Pin the Tail on the Donkey. You don’t want to make this choice blindly. Instead do your research:
- Verify that the roofer is licensed or registered. Licensing and registration are legal certifications that help to confirm a contractor’s legitimacy.
- Confirm the roofer’s contact information. Confirming the roofer’s contact information ensures that you have accurate info and offers insight into how established the business is.
- Verify that the roofer is properly insured. Why should you care about a roofer’s insurance policies? If their coverage is absent or lacking, you may be liable for incidents that occur on your property. To protect yourself, confirm that the roofer has appropriate liability and worker’s compensation insurance.
- Check for red flags. Reach out to the Better Business Bureau and your chamber of commerce. Check for complaints involving any of the roofing contractors on your list. If you find any, consider how they were addressed and resolved.
- Read available reviews. Visit online review websites to see what is being said about the contractors on your list.
3. Opt for Established
In the wake of a bad storm, roofers often blow into town. While these storm chasers may offer lower prices and fantastic warranties, it’s best to avoid them. After all, if you have a problem with your roof in the future, there’s a good chance that they’ll be nowhere to be found. Instead, choose a local, established roofing contractor with a proven track record. A local roofing contractor who has been serving the area for years will know what products perform well in your location, and they’ll probably be just a phone call away if there’s an issue with your roof in the years to come.
4. Cheaper Isn’t Always Better
When comparing bids, don’t let price be the deciding factor. Look carefully at the materials being used, any guarantees or warranties being offered, and the reputation of the company. A good value may come with an initial price tag that is slightly higher, but quality products and services often deliver a better return on investment.
5. Ask Questions
Ask questions and inquire about materials, the size and scope of your project, and the time and manpower needed to get the job done properly. Ask how the warranty works, and who you should contact if there is a problem. Are they knowledgeable and professional? Are you comfortable communicating with them?
6. Get It in Writing
When it comes to roofing work, a handshake doesn’t cut it. You need a contract. Be sure to get a written contract that includes the details of the materials to be used, the work to be done, cleanup procedures, payment amounts, and the payment schedule.
Your roof is a critical element of your residential or commercial property. It contributes to the building’s appearance, plays a vital role in its structural integrity, and serves as the first line of defense from the elements. That’s why knowing how to find a reputable roofer is so important. When you need to know how to find a reputable roofer you can trust, GlennStone Roofing and Exteriors is ready to help. Just give us a call at 417-860-8125, send an e-mail to info@GlennStone.net, or contact us online. You can even set up a free roofing consultation by requesting a quote from us today. We look forward to hearing from you.